Fresh fennel is an excellent food to incorporate into your spring lifestyle. Not only is it good for digestion but it is diuretic, meaning that it increases the volume and frequency of urination which helps to remove toxic substances from the body. It is fresh, light, crisp and has a mild anise flavor. Adding it to your juicing recipes and chopping it into salads, like this one, are easy ways to get this health promoting and detox supporting vegetable into your diet.
Fennel Strawberry Salad
(created by Joe Waldman - my husband!)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion. Rinse well after cutting in cold water and soak in enough red wine vinegar to cover for about 15 minutes.
- 1 handful of Spring Mix salad greens
- ½ bulb fennel cut into ½-1 inch chunks rinsed well and patted dried. Discard the stalks but save the leafy fronds for garnish.
- ¼ of a large sweet bell pepper cut into ½-1 inch pieces.
- 3-4 inch piece of English Cucumber cut into ½-1 inch pieces.
- 4-5 large strawberries cut into ½ inch pieces.
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 ½ tsp Red Wine Vinegar
- ½ tsp dried oregano flakes
- ¼ tsp granulated garlic powder
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ orange - squeezed
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
Serves 4-6 as a side salad