Food sensitivities and allergies can be challenging to work with. Even as a Nutritional Therapist at times I find it frustrating when food lists differ, food allergy tests are conflicting and nutritional protocols and interventions become increasingly complex and limiting. SIBO, SIFO, Low FODMAP, Anti-Histamine, Salicylates, Oxalates, Tyramine Foods, Low Copper, gluten, dairy, egg and soy free, and on and on. OY! When did food become so complicated!
f you have to eliminate certain foods or families of foods it can be overwhelming, frustrating and stressful and can often leave you feeling at a loss for what to eat. But that is the last thing you want to feel when eating as being in stress and anxiety around food worsens your digestive abilities!
So what to do when you are feeling stressed and limited about what to eat?
- Don’t be a victim of your circumstances. Be a master of them! Empower yourself to turn this challenge into learning, growth and transformation.
- Remember there are always options.
- Be open and willing to try new foods, to explore, experiment, find new grocery stores, allergy-friendly bakeries and specialty food shops. Your openness and willingness to try new things is also a reflection of how you do life. Are you blocked, anxious, fearful or close-minded about trying new things in your life? Are you that way with food? If so, perhaps this is a life lesson that is meant to be learned and your food is a doorway to that.
- Get an allergy-friendly cookbook. Go to the bookstore and spend time finding a cookbook that inspires you.
- Go online. There are endless amounts of recipes and websites to support you. Simply google what you are looking for and you will be amazed at how much is available to you.
- Take your time and go through health food stores. Go up and down each aisle, read ingredients, ask the staff questions and learn.
Other important considerations when working with food allergies and intolerances:
- Eat simple. Focus on 1-3 foods/ingredients at a time to not overwhelm your digestive system.
- Eat real whole food.
- Eat small meals that are easy to digest. Don’t overeat!
- You must heal your digestive system. Removing food is only 1 part of the equation. Gut restoration is a 4 step process that requires customized supplement intervention.
- Book a consult to customize your own eating path and supplement requirements.
- Book a grocery shopping consult if you are overwhelmed and don’t know where to begin.
- Look at the stress in your life. Anger, anxiety and unresolved conflicts and stresses are often a significant contributing factor to digestion challenges. I can work with you to resolve those.
Allergy Friendly Foods
The following is a list of dairy, gluten, egg and soy free foods. Most of these foods are also safe if you have Candidiasis or SIBO or on an anti-inflammatory nutritional lifestyle. Always read ingredients to ensure these are perfect foods for you. Remember always start with real, whole food first like fruits, vegetables, lean and clean quality protein, essential fats and minimal whole-gluten-free grains if tolerated, and then add in these additional foods to round off your nutritional lifestyle.
- Screamin’ Brothers (coconut milk and honey)
- Coconut Bliss (not recommended for SIBO/candida)
- Judy G Pizza Crusts (gluten, dairy, egg, soy free)
- Tres Marias (chickpea flour, non-GMO corn)
- Pure Wraps (coconut flour)
- Nori (seaweed wraps)
- Earth Island (good alternative to Daiya if you don’t like that)
- Delicious (gluten and egg free bread)
- Vega protein shakes to go (convenient pre-made shakes)
- Thrive Tribe Bites (convenient bite-size snacks)
- Joseph’s Nutless Clusters
- Pegan Paleo Bar
- Crick Start (if you don’t mind eating cricket flour!)
Nuts, Seeds and Butters
- Choose any natural nut or seed butters of choice (pumpkin, cashew, hazelnut, sunflower, etc.)
- Tiger Nut Butter (excellent alternative if you are nut and seed-free). Tiger Nut is a Tuber not a nut
- Noble Jerky (Vegan Jerky)
- Simply Protein Chips
- Sea Snax
- Kale Chips
- Beet Chips (Rhythm Superfoods)
- Organic Corn Tortillas
- Peas Please (Peeled Snacks)
- Prana Samsuma (sesame seeds and honey)
- Blue Monkey Coconut Chips
- Enjoy Life (dairy, soy free)
- Made Good
Don’t let your allergies and food intolerances get you down! There are always options and new foods to try and experience. Although this new way of eating is different and not what you are used to, it can open the door to new opportunities, growth, learning and you may just find this new way of eating is really enjoyable and most importantly makes you feel much better than you did before!
Yours in health & vitality,